Happy Summer! I’ve been away for a while, partly do to injuring my left wrist while paddle boarding Memorial weekend. But I’m back, and here to talk to you about how you can turn your everyday routines (boring!) into amazing life-changing rituals.
I saw the above quote while on a recent trip to New York City. You see random stuff like this posted all over the city, and you can never really be sure if it’s advertising, artwork, or just a random rant. But this one struck both my husband and I so much that we had to take a photo.
We all have daily routines: washing dishes, doing laundry, answering emails, taking the dog for a walk, driving to work. We do these things over and over every single day, and mostly it just feels like a big waste of time or at the very least a nuisance. But can we make these trivial, monotonous moments meaningful? The answer is YES.
Some of my creative rituals include:
- putting on my blue polka-dot robe to get ready to write
- listening to Joss Stone’s “Clean Water” while cleaning up my art space to get in the mood to paint
- giving my lucky Petoskey stone a squeeze before I send out a submission
- thinking about my characters or plot problems while exercising or washing the dishes
Performing these rituals help me take on the creative tasks day in and day out. They motivate me to do the work.
I also have rituals before I go to bed to get ready for sleep. I drink a cup of tea and do gentle yoga or meditate with a special mantra. Sometimes I take a bath and mull over the day, before letting it all go. Then I count my thoughts until they disappear. Just by engaging in this ritual, my body knows it’s time to unwind.
Other useful rituals I do that you might enjoy:
- call a friend for social time while taking a walk and listen more than you talk
- focus on the world around you and experience it with all five senses
- meditate on different quantities of empty space while staying in the present moment, a technique known as open focus, which allows your brain a break
Rituals add excitement and meaning to your every day. They feel more like preparation.
So go get ready already! Because your next big adventure could be right around the corner.